P.O. Box 70, Indianola, MS 38751 | Phone: (662) 887-4919 | Fax: (662) 887-5501

Hide other sections
SCCSD Nurse Services

Nurse: Mrs. Kakawonda Hibbler

Location: D.B. Floyd, Jr. Administration Bldg. (Rm. 21) ♦ 702 Hwy 82

Phone: 662-207-9314

Fax: 662-887-7042

E-mail: khibbler@sunflower.k12.ms.us 


A student’s health is important to his or her success in school. Sunflower County Consolidated School District employs nurses who provide services to minimize health conditions that impede learning. School health services include:

  • Screening, assessment, identification, and planning for the care, safety, and ongoing evaluation of students with health care needs
  • Referrals to community resources
  • Consultation with parents and physicians about health conditions
  • Health teaching and counseling for students
  • Consultation with administrators and staff regarding health-related activities at school such as health room procedures, medication administration, medically authorized procedures, and communicable disease control.





Click here for forms



If your child has a health condition that needs special assistance and/or an emergency action plan at school, please contact your school nurse. Examples of health conditions that the nurse needs to talk to parents about include diabetes, asthma, severe allergy, seizures, sickle cell disease, etc. The nurse will work with school staff to ensure that your child’s special health care needs are met.



Each student's parent/guardian needs to provide all health/emergency information to the students' school. This information needs to be provided immediately upon enrollment so that your directions may be followed in an emergency. Please submit all requested information including current parental/guardian contact information (home, work, and cell phone numbers) and other emergency contacts and numbers such as a relative, neighbor, or friend. When sickness or accidents occur at school, parents are notified as soon as possible. It is critical that the numbers/information be updated and kept current during the school year. It is extremely important that we are able to reach you in the event of an accident or illness.  Hard copy forms are available at your child's school upon request.



Children perform better at school when they are well nourished and get adequate sleep (needing as much as 9-11 hours each night). Regular school attendance is important, but children who are sick need to stay home to recuperate. A student, who is vomiting, nauseous, has diarrhea, or running a fever of at least 100 degrees should not be sent to school.



School personnel will notify parents if a child appears to have signs and/or symptoms of a communicable disease or condition so that they can seek medical advice or attention. Students will be excluded from school for the period of communicability and readmitted in accordance with recommendations from their health care provider. 

In the event that a student is involved in an incident where they may be exposed to another person’s blood or body fluids, the SCCSD post exposure protocol will be followed. 



Immunization against childhood diseases are required by Mississippi Law in order to enter school, Head Start, or day care. Specific vaccinations are also recommended for students entering high school or college. 

The Mississippi State Department of Health provides all necessary immunizations at low cost.  Immunizations are free if you qualify for the Vaccines For Children program. See list of required immunizations → Here

For specific immunization requirements, refer to the following website: Mississippi State Department of Health



In order for a student to receive prescription and non-prescription medicines at school, a parent/guardian consent and written authorization from a licensed health care provider are required. Medications cannot be given to a student at school until a Medication Authorization form has been received. A separate form is required for each medicine. New authorization forms are required every year at the beginning of school, whenever the dose or directions change, or when a new medicine is prescribed. It is the parent’s responsibility to provide all medicines to be given at school. Each medicine must be in an appropriately labeled pharmacy container that corresponds with the completed Medication Authorization form. Most pharmacies will provide an extra container for school use upon request. Over the counter medications must be in the original non-prescription container. Students are prohibited from transporting medications to and from school unless it is an emergency medication (examples-metered dose inhaler, glucagon, epipen, etc.) and proper authorization is in place. 



Parents of a student with special dietary needs must provide the school with documentation from a licensed healthcare provider describing the specific health condition of the student. The school nurse in collaboration with the parent/guardian and student will develop a plan of care. The Diet Order-Medical Statement for Students with Special Diet Needs must be completed and forwarded to Child Nutrition.



Vision and hearing screenings are conducted on students because of the obvious relationship to learning. School nurses conduct vision screenings, make referrals, and follow-up with these referrals as needed. Speech clinicians and audiologist conduct audiometric hearing screenings and refer as needed. School nurses assist with the follow-up of these referrals. 


Disclaimer Statement 

Although the school RN exercises due caution in adding links to SCCSD health services websites, the resources that can be accessed with these links connect to sources that are not maintained by SCCSD. SCCSD is not responsible for the contents of any such resources, nor is the existence of a link to be construed as an endorsement by SCCSD.

 Contact Us   About Us